Damsel in Thisdress

Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's not even funny.  I just came back from a 3-days 2-nights kayak-camping trip; I was somewhat tired but not over-the-limit-exhausted, I slept well during the trip: when the sun sets and camp is made, I just dropped into a coma.

Somehow, back to my very comfortable bed, I can't get to sleep.

What's wrong with me?   

Oh well, while the memory is still fresh, I might as well finish my trip-log.

Summary:
Dennis kicked my ass, I was behind him pretty much the whole time, I couldn't even keep course when strong wind or current came at a 90 degree angle (have you ever heard of such thing as a "no go zone" for kayaks?  It's... humiliating.)  All in all, it was an educating, humbling... humiliating experience u_u

That said, I'm proud of myself for finishing it.  I didn't thought I could do it with the glass-fiber kayak, it's too heavy, it leaks, it's too long, it hasn't got a seat ... but I did it anyway.  And I got better and better at controlling it everyday, so that by the third day, I was able to get it going at a decent speed.

Thanks a million to Dennis for being infinitely patient; he kept waiting for me without getting visibly annoyed.  I miserably failed to communicate my inability to control course and as a result, we lost each other around Siu A Chau.  We were both rather nervous about it, because the weather condition was pretty rough; but we were able to discuss it sensibly and still laugh about it.  

Met a few marine-mammals (outriggerers, kayakers, sailors, dragon boaters) on DB when we landed.  Even got a phone number so hopefully, we will get more group kayak activities going on DB.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home