Damsel in Thisdress

Friday, September 30, 2005

BODY SHOPping

Hong Kong is just a big shopping mall!

Today, I finally left the comfort of Discovery Bay and went into the "Real" HK. I used to get really embarrassed when I take friends to UVic and they get all excited about the bunnies, taking pictures and all. And now, I am jumping up and down seeing the "real" Hong Kong from the bridge after I got off the MTR.

I also saw the Disney MTR, it looks very... Mickey Mouse. At many level...

Anyways, today is another shopping spree. I shopped for a HK citizenship card first thing in the morning, ready for me to pick up on the 17th. I then shopped for cat toys, (got a jade pendant for Kirara >^o^<), for pets (cheating on Kirara already... I even talk my parents into getting a bengal or exotic savannah from Canada!), for eye glasses, and even for laser eye surgery and for dental services. I also made appointment for vaccine consultations on Tuesday. I also almost bought a snake from a snake-soup restaurant. My dad talked me out of it by pointing out how lethagic they are and how they probably have their gall bladder removed for "Chinese medicine" and won't live much longer.

I played with my dad's cell phone camera, I don't know if it worked, if it did, I will load the images online later.

The first image I took was GREAT. I took it off a bridge; it's a picture of a "business building," the awning on the second floor says something about "making successful businesses and trades happen," the bottom sign says "believe in Jesus and receive eternal life." No, seriously, you can even buy eternal life in Hong Kong!

Then I took an image of a bunch of little ladies sitting in the middle of downtown, with little paper voodoo dolls called "little men." These are little yellow paper-doll that you can buy, then you write the name of someone you detest, and you take off your shoes and beat the "little man" with it. Supposedly, "beating the little man" will bring bad fortune to the bearer of that name. No, really, you can even buy revenge!

In Hong Kong, every relation is quid pro quo. Knowing this, I am a lot more able to forgive my mother.

I remember I was really offended at grade 9, when my mom wrote me a cheque for me to hand it to my science tuitor, and she said to me, "this is an investment to me. YOU are an investment to me." Of course our relationship is quid-pro-quo; everything is quid pro quo in Hong Kong.

-Cordelia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home